Michigan Virtual University® (MVU®) was established in 1998 by the State of Michigan. MVU is a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation and is governed by an independent Board of Directors comprised of individuals representing business, industry, higher education, K-12 education and state government.
MVU began to serve Michigan’s K-12 community with online instructional services as a result of Public Act 230 of 2000. In 2005, the Michigan Virtual School® (MVS®) was awarded accreditation by the North Central Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA) and the Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation (CITA). MVS was re-accredited in 2011.
In 2003, in partnership with the Michigan Department of Education, MVU created Michigan LearnPort®, a web-based portal that provides low-cost and no-cost online professional development opportunities for Michigan’s K-12 community, higher education and for organizations not directly affiliated with K-12 or higher education.
In 2012, MVU opened the Michigan Virtual Learning Research Institute™ (MVLRI™) which draws upon recognized state and national leaders from K-12 schools, higher education and the private industry to provide research, evaluation, and development expertise that support Michigan’s students, parents, schools, K-12 and postsecondary educators and state and local policymakers. In 2013, MVLRI received the 2013 iNACOL Innovator Award for Outstanding Research.
The MVU organizational values represent a set of core beliefs that continue to build a high performance team environment. These value statements serve as the foundation for MVU’s vision and mission statements. This is what we believe:
- Put people first — Personalized learning, diversity of thought, partnerships in the educational community, investment in staff.
- Commit to excellence — Quality products and services, responsiveness and timeliness, pride in our work.
- Act with integrity — How we act is as important as what we do, good stewards of resources, trust is earned.
- Embrace innovation — Advance the art of learning, impact educational practice and policy.
- Serve with passion — We are an extremely passionate group of professionals focused on improving education and career readiness.
- Succeed through teamwork — Nothing great can be achieved individually. We appreciate the diversity that various individuals bring to our work and interactions and believe in collaborating with the best to achieve success.