Michigan Virtual University® (MVU®) was established in 1998 by the State of Michigan. MVU is a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation and is governed by an independent Board of Directors comprised of individuals representing business, industry, higher education, K-12 education and state government.
MVU began to serve Michigan’s K-12 community with online instructional services as a result of Public Act 230 of 2000. In 2005, the Michigan Virtual School® (MVS® )was awarded accreditation by the North Central Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA) and the Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation (CITA). MVS was re-accredited in 2010.
In 2003, in partnership with the Michigan Department of Education, MVU created Michigan LearnPort®, a web-based portal that provides low-cost and no-cost online professional development opportunities for Michigan’s K-12 community, higher education and for organizations not directly affiliated with K-12 or higher education.
In 2012, MVU opened the Michigan Virtual Learning Research Institute™ which draws upon recognized state and national leaders from K-12 schools, higher education and the private industry to provide research, evaluation, and development expertise that support Michigan’s students, parents, schools, K-12 and postsecondary educators and state and local policymakers. In 2013, the Institute received the 2013 iNACOL Innovator Award for Outstanding Research.
The MVU organizational values represent a set of core beliefs that continue to build a high performance team environment. These value statements serve as the foundation for MVU’s vision and mission statements. MVU is committed to the following values:
- High standards for quality, ongoing research and the use of data to improve operational decisions;
- Use of innovative technologies to address persistent educational challenges;
- Listening to customer and stakeholder feedback to guide product and service development plans;
- Excellence in the design, development and delivery of online educational services;
- A professional environment that celebrates creativity, good ideas and initiative; and
- Serving as a responsible steward of public and private resources.